Senior Fullstack Product Engineer
Central Wimbledon, London
We are looking for a fullstack product engineer to join our team here in Wimbledon. We work on a SaaS product used by real customers like Microsoft, HMRC, P&G, 1&1, Xerox, Panasonic, Valve Software and more. The product we make actually has an impact on hundreds of thousands of people that use it throughout out their working day. We think that's pretty cool.
Briefly: What is Deskpro?
Deskpro is a multi-channel helpdesk and communication platform that we deploy as a downloadable package and also run as a SaaS service in AWS.
Deskpro includes a number of apps covering various functionality like email and ticketing, real-time chat, voice, self-help publishing and task management. With your help, we can deliver even more features like Twitter/Facebook integration, forms, and asset tracking.
What is the stack?
- Product is mainly PHP with our framework of choice is Symfony with Doctrine.
- Product backend is powered by lots of other tech: MySQL, ElasticSearch, Memcache, Redis
- Our platform, including our SaaS deployment and supporting services, use a range of other languages like Python, NodeJS and Java/Kotlin.
- We love using storybook to build usable components, and all our PostCSS-written styling is backed by an always-visible living style guide.
- Our product is a single-page application
- Terraform for managing our AWS infrastructure
- AWS resources like Aurora, SES, SNS, SQS, S3, Lambda
What is the work like? What are the challenges?
The interesting thing about working for Deskpro is that there is so much to do and the work spans many areas.
- The Platform: Deskpro is the central hub for a lot of companies and we want to integrate with many third-party tools. We already have some integrations, and we need more: Salesforce, Twilio, Mailgun, JIRA, Twitter, Facebook... We need to focus a lot on the APIs we make available and we need to make the platform developer-friendly. Everything from robust APIs to great documentation is vital.
- Messaging: Deskpro is very real-time. The UI needs to update as events happen: New messages are added, fields and values change, notifications pop up, etc. We have invented a messaging framework that works over websockets or AJAX polling as a fallback.
- Flexible: Deskpro is customisable. Many features can be tweaked and tuned. This can be as simple as changing words and phrases, to adding completely new functionality like installing a the JIRA app.
- And a new effort in 2018 is contributing back to the open-source community. Deskpro is full of really great code that we want the world to see and use.
Why should you be interested?
- You'll get to use and learn about many different products, APIs and technologies.
- You'll get to work with real customers and get a peek into how other businesses operate their businesses.
- You'll get to learn about scaling software as well as scaling the SaaS platform as a whole.
- You'll get to try out new technology. We are constantly updating our stack and are always on the lookout for tools that will help us be more productive. Maybe you want to try out that new Disque queue server or maybe you want to play with IBM's Watson APIs. Tell us the what and why, then let's do it.
Deskpro is a "platform" and is used by many different businesses, big and small. Ultimately that means that Deskpro developers get variety. The features you work on will never get tedious, the customers we work with are always changing, the software we use and the technology we implement is always fresh.
What's the team like?
- Our company was founded and is managed by developers who wrote the original software the company was built upon. Everyone in the company "gets it".
- Everyone in the company has a voice. We're super transparent and we always want your input about anything from features to company policy.
- Very strong experience developing software with PHP.
- You should have experience with Symfony and Doctrine, and not be afraid to dive into the internals of these frameworks. We make extensive use of Symfony forms, validators, events, etc and knowledge of how these work is a must.
- You should have strong experience with ReactJS and the community around it.
- You should have a strong understanding of software architecture with opinions on "the right way" to do things. When is the right time to use inheritance? When to use mutable vs immutable data structures? What are the advantages to functional programming?
- Competitive salary based upon experience, plus Company Bonus Scheme.
- Career progression. There is room to grow into many different types of roles.
- Opportunity to experiment with many different technologies.
- A mixture of autonomy over your role and real responsibilities to the team and business.
- Varied work. The Deskpro product is large with lots of modules and technologies.
- Friendly team and work environment at our brand new Wimbledon office.
- Lovely new offices, BBQs in the summer, pub lunches every Friday and beers in the fridge! There's a free weekly team lunch.
- Childcare Vouchers
- We want you to work comfortably and we'll get you a great workstation: Macbook Pro or Linux/Windows equivalent and as many monitors you want, and anything else you might need.
- Fantastic transport links (train, District and Northern line tubes, buses, trams), our head office is a 3 minute walk from all.
- Developers get access to Safari Books which is an up-to-date digital library of thousands of technical books from publishers such as O'Reilly, Manning, Microsoft, Packt, Addison-Wesley and more.
- We're happy to send our devs to conferences and training days.